A grumpy millennial

"Confused" by Guudmorning! is licensed under CC BY 2.0


I always thought of myself as rather lucky to be part of the generation that grew with the digital transition. I assumed that learning and engaging with online platforms and digital tools was going to be ‘natural’ for me, while I was still able to value the benefits and simplicity of being offline. That, however, changed when the digital platforms and social media outgrew me faster than I could even realise. Suddenly I was an online illiterate! People around me were talking of Tik Toks, Snapchat, Twitter and who knows what other things for which I just don’t have the time or patience to learn. I had become a grumpy grown up that is overwhelmed by the online world (sigh).

Entering this course was a bit scary because it seems to expect lots of online engagement outside the meetings and emails. Like, I never had a blog before, for a start. So, going through and leading this first topic on digital literacies helped me to reflect what kind of online tools and platforms I use, enjoy using, and rely on to learn, perform my job, keep in touch with friends, and keep me updated on news and debates. Actually, I do use a lot of digital tools and platforms, just maybe not Tik Tok or Snapchat! Understanding that digital literacy does not depend on age, or how much you are online, has been a nice discovery. Furthermore, realising that not understanding ALL social media does not mean I was left behind by technology and a bunch of young people has been a huge relief. Now I am more aware of my role as an online visitor –which is most of the time- and resident –when I really want to stay in touch with friends and family around the world, or in pandemic times, to perform my job-.

Beyond those reflections, this first topic left me with a few practical tips for using digital platforms to perform my job:

-         If teaching or working in a group, everything must be easy to find and, ideally, in the same space

-        Innovation is key! Interactive tools, videos, podcasts, are helpful and keep the motivation up.

-        But do not try to innovate too much! Sometimes an email and a google sheet work just fine.

-        Be aware that not everyone learns at the same pace, and not everyone will engage evenly. Empathy and self-reflection are important!




Comments

  1. Funny and insightful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the check-list. Might add that it would be especially beneficial if someone developed a platform that would merge all the different tools so one could design a class using different tools without asking stduents to log on to all sorts of different spaces. Or does such already exist?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog